Thursday, February 01, 2007

An evening of excitement...

So, two things of note to report for the evening:

1. It snowed!!! Well, OK, it snowed for about 10 minutes. Fattish flakes that melted almost the second they touched the ground. I was out for the evening, and we saw it snowing through the front window of the bar we were at. A few people ran outside to savour the snow. (I did not. Viewing it from the window was adequate for me.) As I walked home later from the bus, there was not a speck of snow to be seen as proof of this occurrence, other than a few car roofs with the barest dusting.

2. I learned to knit!!! Well, OK, I was taught the basics of knitting. Whether or not I have actually managed to internalize these teachings into anything remotely resembling "having learned" remains to be seen. I met up with some girls, mostly other JETs from the area, who get together every Thursday at a bar or cafe downtown (this week it was the bar), and they knit and chat. There was about 7 or 8 of us. I was taught how to cast on (put the yarn on my needles to start) and how to do a basic knit-pearl stitch. I am making a 27-stitch width baby-pink scarf (3 knit - 3 pearl). I debated taking a picture of my first night's accomplishment, but during the 3 hours I was there, I had to re-cast and re-knit my first row four times. So there's not much to photograph just yet. Maybe in another row or two. (If I make it that far!)

I must sleep now. I have a sore throat, and tomorrow I have to teach 5 out of 6 periods (including going in early for an 8:35 class) because of a few rescheduled classes from earlier this week (the schedule at school is just messed up these days). Now, off to dream about knitting a snow-white fleece... (it's cold in here right now).

As a side note, Blogger made me upgrade tonight (in order to post this) to a Google Account Blogger account, and I can add *labels* to my posts. I shudder to think of all the time I am going to waste in the next while, retroactively labelling my posts...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It totally snowed today down here in Nagasaki, too! It happened while I was teaching. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and stopped mid-sentence to yell, "It's snowing!" Oops. Bad teacher.

julie said...

LOL - too funny. There was still a dusting of snow in the garden behind my building this morning (I took a picture but it's not that exciting); however, it was all melted away by the time I got home afterschool.

Anonymous said...

*sniff sniff* I'm so proud of you, learning how to knit! You'll be churning out scarves and hats in no time! And you're in the land of Noro, which is a brand of FABULOUS Japanese wool!

(PS - it's "purl")