Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Gonna lick you all over...

So I'm sitting on the couch, having recently finished eating a bowl of ice cream, and am reading my book on Japanese art and minding my own business, when the dog jumps up suddenly into my lap and then starts licking my right hand. Very intensely. He has it pinned between his paws at some points, turning it so that he can get his tongue into all the contours. This lasted about 20 minutes.

Then he watched intently over my shoulder as I booted up my laptop and began to blog about this first incident.

If he doesn't think he's human (which he often clearly does, as anyone who's seen him sit belly-up, legs splayed out in front of him, on the couch next to me), then he obviously thinks I am part of his pack (and Randal, too).

A minute ago he was running around the living room, tearing up a piece of cardboard we'd given to him earlier.* Now he is collapsed on his doggy-bed in the kitchen. I wish I was a dog.

I'm sorry to report that other than this recent 20-minute incident, nothing very interesting has happened recently. But I'll let y'all know if something does...

* Despite his obvious enjoyment of the cardboard, it only lasted about two minutes (the enjoyment, that is...and the cardboard, for that matter). Unlike last night's escapade where he obstinately held a sock (banned dog booty) in his mouth for almost an hour (we decided to ignore him, since he knows it's not allowed, to see if he'd eventually lose interest) and then afterward his jaw was so sore he kept flexing it in an attempt to loosen it up again. Well, some dogs just never learn.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

As soon as I saw the title, I thought, "Julie! I thought you mother reads this!"

And hey, when you have a pup as cute as Rion, there's always something interesting going on :)

Anonymous said...

Julie's mother reads this? Nah...

Anonymous said...

Why'd you let him do it for 20 minutes? You sicko!

SICKO!

julie said...

oh, right - like you never have. As you well know, there is something fascinating about the meticulous, careful way in which he manipulates your hand in order to ensure each and every crevice is thoroughly cleaned :)

Anonymous said...

I hear it makes a good facial cleanser.

julie said...

well, you, my dear GW, are good proof of this, I guess, as long as you're sure that isn't a characteristic unique to beagle slime. (And how nice to see you online for once! You have a website I can visit yet?)